Best Travel Mugs
It used to be easy to define what a travel coffee mug was. It was a cup or mug with some kind of insulation, usually plastic and foam, with a lid and a little sliding bit so that coffee would not spill all over you while you are driving.
The increased popularity of commuting with your morning coffee to save time and money, or having the coffee shop fill your mug to save the planet, has led to a variety of insulated flasks/mugs/containers that go by the name.
Though there are many designs, from flasks you can drink from, to sealed mugs with straws, what they have in common is the ability to transport a beverage while keeping it hot, and allowing you to drink from the container one-handed without spilling.
The Rolls Royce of stainless steel travel mugs is not from Thermos but from the Japanese Zojirushi Company. However despite the Japanese pedigree, the mug is manufactured in Thailand and the warranty is with the Zojirushi America Corporation.
- This mug has over 85% 5-star ratings on Amazon and is their top seller
- Can be opened one-handed
- 12 and 16-Oz versions
- Keeps coffee hot for 6 hours as advertised
- Durable 18/8 stainless steel interior
- Wide mouth can accommodate ice blocks
- 6 Colors
- Bulky, doesn’t fit a car cup holder, and hard for people with small hands to open
- Quality control issues with the lid
- Spring on the lid is weak
- Keeps liquids hot for 8 hours and cold for 12 hours
- Leak-proof drink lid
- Easy push button lid seals with locking ring for one-handed operation
- Light and compact design
- Fits in most automotive cup holders
- 100% BPA-free
- Stainless steel interior and exterior
- This travel coffee mug should be in the #1 spot but it has a huge flaw. Lots of customer praise and lots and lots of complaints about the lid eventually starting to leak. Fortunately replacement lids are available. My advice, if you buy this otherwise excellent bottle then buy a spare lid at the same time (about $4).
This travel mug has the same body as the #1 on this list but without the spout. Instead a plastic lip around the opening allows you to drink directly from the mug.
- Mostly the same strengths as the Zojirushi SM-KHE48NL
- Easy to clean, especially the lid
- Lid seals well
- 4 Colors
- No spout
- No one-hand opening
- Still bulky, so hard to use in a car
- Leak proof
- Large 22-ounce capacity
- Keeps hot for up to 6 hours
- Wide base to prevent accidental spills
- Can drink from it one-handed but the screw on cap that makes it leak proof means you can”t open it with one hand
- Issues with cleaning
- Quality issues with the thermal seal not working
- Reports of strange chemical smells from the plastics
- You have to tip it vertical to get the last liquid